Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:00:35 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved searching for FreeBSD.org web site

Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> There often is a lack of direction and a clear voice of authority in
> source projects. I loathe authority, but it's good to know who to talk to
> when you need something done, instead of not knowing who's responsable -
> if anybody at all. This 'somebody else, not me' attitude can be a bit hard
> and discourage people, but the freedom and loose rules are exactly one of
> the things that make people want to do cooperate, next to their (probably)
> more strict day-time job. I hope that you (Eric) don't take this too hard
> - this is by no means a refusal or denial of the work you did, it's just
> that somebody has to step up now and take responsability to finish the
> job, and everybody seems to think somebody else is (will be) doing it.
>
> Even a democracy needs leaders (representatives) with executive powers.

I am completely with you on all of this.  This is why I offered to also

take over the "Current Projects" page - it was being left behind and needed

to be kept up to date.  I think the biggest problem is that everyone with

"the power" to make the changes is already so busy, that things slip through.

No problem, it's just best for FreeBSD if things don't (obviously).

> We have two solutions for our crappy search engine problem. This is a good
> thing. I suggest we combine them: let Eric import his engine in the
> website - might I suggest giving him access so he can take care of it
> himself, otherwise nothing's going to happen and that's _very_
> frustrating; and put a 'smart link' with the current query at the bottom
> of that engine that says something like 'alternative search engine,
> generously provided by atomz'. When that link is clicked, the search
> results of the commercial engine pop up. People can decide for themselves
> what they use; we take advantage of both obviously much better
> implementations; and we don't depend on a commercial solution - we only
> have to remove the extra link on the bottom of the search engine.

I fully agree.  I think this is a great idea - and with atomz' link in the results

listing, it will also give searchers an alternative if my search engine doesn't
provide adequate enough results for that query.

Eric