Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:23:27 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Totem TX chipset motherboard

> On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 11:59:31AM +0800, Michael Slater wrote:
> > Hello,
> >         I recently purchased a totem motherboard, with a TX chipset, and it
> > works fine with the exception that FreeBSD cant find the Serial Ports.
> >
> > System is Pentium 166MMX 32 mb ram, Award BIOS, Mother Board as above, 512k
> > cache. Is their a reason why it cant find the serial ports ? Linux Works,
> > but i had to upgrade the BIOS before it would boot.
>
> This is the second motherboard about which people are reporting
> problems with the serial ports (the other is the IWill P55XB2).  Both
> have TX chipsets.  Possibly we're not too good with the timing on
> these boards.

Can people *please* identify and report the I/O device on these failing
boards?  If you need help in working out which one it is, please ask.
It is unlikely in the extreme that there is anything wrong with the
timing, as the PCI-ISA bridge is configured by the BIOS and not changed
by FreeBSD.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\