Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:07:47 +0000
From:      stuart henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        postmaster@microsoft.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@openbsd.org, "well it can't hurt :-" <God@internationalschool.co.uk>
Subject:   and why not...

To the postmaster:

I would be grateful if you could forward this message for me; I don't have
access to your internal email system. This is a very serious suggestion
offered freely in the best interests of both Microsoft Corporation and the
people of the world.

For the personal attention of Bill Gates

Please spare me a moment and read on.

Why are you wasting so much of your support department's time and budget by
using MS-DOS as the kernel for Windows 95?

By using the features provided by the forthcoming Intel binary
compatability systems, you could distribute a single upgrade package for
all major Intel UNIX environments.

By taking advantage of the generous BSD licensing terms, you could also
distribute a fully packaged system with integrated installation scripts as
you now do.

The only difference from your existing "full product" and "upgrade"
packages would be the base OS. Why not take advantage of the fully featured
modern multitasking OS kernels with inbuilt high performance, high
reliability I/O and virtual memory subsystems that are now available?

The window managers (GUI's) available for the X Window system (the UNIX
equivalent to GDI) are worlds apart from Windows 95. Many different GUI's
are available to operate under "X" but most are deficient in the human
interface department; this is exactly where Microsoft's best expertise
lies.

Nobody else has done so much to bring the benefits of computing to the
attention of the human race and the media, and you have certainly made a
lot of money from it. Surely it's now time to give something back by making
Windows 98 a truly great chimera, rather than yet another in what seems an
endless stream of upgrades to the weak MSDOS kernel.

Both technically and commercially, it could make excellent sense. Jaron
Lanier at Wired seems to have come up with the same idea judging by one of
his comments on page 62 of 6.01 (January 1998 edition).

I shall close here in the hope that this has given you food for thought and
would like to thank you for your time. I hope it has been well spent.

Stuart