Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:05:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Nils Berzins <nils.berzins@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with amd64

Since this references 6.0-RELEASE it should have been sent to -stable, or
since it references amd64 specifically it should have been sent to -amd64.
Rerouting to -stable.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Nils Berzins wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Few days ago I downloaded release 6.0 ISOs, in hope that I will finally be
> able to run FreeBSD on my home computer. Unfortunately, booting from CD dies
> with:
>
> > panic: sym: VTOBUS FAILED !
>
> Is there something I can do to get around this error, or do I just wait for
> more less stable 7.0 :-(

According to the code this panic occurs when there is a problem with the
DMA memory management. Typically we see this when the driver is not 64-bit
clean, but I'd find that hard to believe with amd64 since the same driver
runs on sparc64 fine (and must since many Sun machines have embedded sym
controllers).

Unfortunately it doesn't help that the sym driver has its own bizarre DMA
management. It uses busdma but its kinda bolted on over the old
memory-block management. Not going to make it any easier to debug.

> P.S. I have ASUS A8V-E Deluxe with Athlon 64D.

Can we get the dmesg from this system?

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org