Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/36723: IPSec section is unintelligible

The following reply was made to PR docs/36723; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:05:41 +0100

 --L0TNCHh3fkwjpuuE

 On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:09:11PM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
 > People often complain about the IPSec section in the FreeBSD Handbook.
 > The material is in great need of clarification.

 Anyone feel like SGML'ifying this (and fleshing it out as necessary)?
 It's been kicking around my hard disk for ages, and I never found the
 need to finish it up. . .

 /*-
  * Copyright (c) 2001 Nik Clayton
  * All rights reserved.
  *
  * Redistribution is not permitted.  If you are reading this it's because t=
 his
  * is an early version of this article that I have put out for review.  It =
 is
  * not finished, and I do not want copies that possibly provide incorrect
  * information floating around the net.
  *
  * THIS DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' =
 AND
  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPO=
 SE
  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTI=
 AL
  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRI=
 CT
  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  * SUCH DAMAGE
  */

 ToDo:

 	Check the path of the racoon config file

 	Talk about the racoon settings that talk about timeouts

 	Talk about choosing a good value for "secret" in psk.txt

 	Check that racoon without a policy still sets up security associations

 	Get sample tcpdump output between encrypted networks

 	Show how to configure Windows hosts with a WINS Server

 	Show dhcpd.conf netbios config option.

 Creating a VPN between two networks, separated by the Internet, using FreeB=
 SD
 gateways.

 The Problem

     There's no standard for what constitutes a VPN.  VPNs can be implemented
     using a number of different technologies, each of which have their own
     strengths and weaknesses.  This article presents a number of scenarios,
     and strategies for implementing a VPN for each scenario.

 Scenario #1:  Two networks, connected to the Internet, to behave as one

     This is the scenario that caused me to first investigating VPNs.  The
     premise is as follows:

       *  You have at least two sites

       *  Both sites are using IP internally

       *  Both sites are connected to the Internet, through a gateway that is
          running FreeBSD.

       *  The gateway on each network has at least one public IP address.

       *  The internal addresses of the two networks can be public or private
          IP addresses, it doesn't matter.  You can be running NAT on the
          gateway machine if necessary.

       *  The internal IP addresses of the two networks DO NOT COLLIDE.  Whi=
 le
 	 I expect it is theoretically possible to use a combination of VPN
 	 technology and NAT to get this to work, I expect it to be a
 	 configuration nightmare.

 	 If you find that you are trying to connect two networks, both of
 	 which, internally, use the same private IP address range (e.g., both
 	 of them use 192.168.1.x), then one of the networks will have to be
 	 renumbered.

     I think it's now a law that every VPN article must feature some ASCII
     artwork.  This one is no exception.

     The network topology might look something like this:

      Network #1            [ Internal Hosts ]    Private Net, 192.168.1.2-2=
 54
                            [   Win9x/NT/2K  ]
                            [      Unix      ]

                              .---[fxp1]---.      Private IP, 192.168.1.1
                              |   FreeBSD  |
                              `---[fxp0]---'      Public IP, A.B.C.D

                            -=3D-=3D- Internet -=3D-=3D-

                              .---[fxp0]---.      Public IP, W.X.Y.Z
                              |   FreeBSD  |
                              `---[fxp1]---'      Private IP, 192.168.2.1

      Network #2            [ Internal Hosts ]
                            [   Win9x/NT/2K  ]    Private Net, 192.168.2.2-2=
 54
                            [      Unix      ]

     Notice the two public IP addresses.  I'll use the letters to refer to t=
 hem
     in the rest of this article.  Anywhere you see those letters in this
     article, replace them with your own public IP addresses.  Note also that
     that internally, the two gateway machines have .1 IP addresses, and that
     the two networks have different private IP address (192.168.1.x and
     192.168.2.x respectively).  All the machines on the private networks ha=
 ve
     been configured to use the .1 machine as their default gateway.

     The intention is that, from a network point of view, each network should
     view the machines on the other network as though they were directly
     attached the same router -- albeit a slightly slow router with an
     occasional tendency to drop packets.

     This means that (for example), machine 192.168.1.20 should be able to r=
 un

         ping 192.168.2.34

     and have it work, transparently.  Windows machines should be able to see
     the machines on the other network, browse file shares, and so on, in
     exactly the same way that they can browse machines on the local network.

     And the whole thing has to be secure.  This means that traffic between =
 the
     two networks has to be encrypted.

     Creating a VPN between these two networks is a multi-step process.  The
     stages are as follows;

       1.  Create a "virtual" network link between the two networks, across
           the Internet.  Test it, using tools like ping(8), to make sure it
           works.

       2.  Apply security policies to ensure that traffic between the two
           networks is transparently encrypted and decrypted as necessary.
           Test this, using toolks like tcpdump(8), to ensure that traffic is
           encrypted.

       3.  Configure additional software on the FreeBSD gateways, to allow
           Windows machines to see one another across the VPN.

 Step 1:  Creating and testing a "virtual" network link

     Suppose that you were logged in to the gateway machine on network #1 (w=
 ith
     public IP address A.B.C.D, private IP address 192.168.1.1), and you ran
     "ping 192.168.2.1", which is the private address of the machine with IP
     address W.X.Y.Z.  What needs to happen in order for this to work?
     =20
       1.  The gateway machine needs to know how to reach 192.168.2.1.  In
           other words, it needs to have a route to 192.168.2.1.

       2.  Private IP addresses, such as those in the 192.168.x range are not
           supposed to appear on the Internet at large.  Instead, each packet
           you send to 192.168.2.1 will need to be wrapped up inside another
           packet.  This packet will need to appear to be from A.B.C.D, and =
 it
           will have to be sent to W.X.Y.Z.  This process is called
           "encapsulation".

       3.  Once this packet arrives at W.X.Y.Z it will need to
           "unencapsulated", and delivered to 192.168.2.1.

     You can think of this as requiring a "tunnel" between the two networks.
     The two "tunnel mouths" are the IP addresses A.B.C.D and W.X.Y.Z, and t=
 he
     tunnel must be told the addresses of the private IP addresses that will=
  be
     allowed to pass through it.  The tunnel is used to transfer traffic with
     private IP addresses across the public Internet.

     This tunnel is created by using the generic interface, or "gif" devices=
  on
     FreeBSD.  As you can imagine, the gif interface on each gateway host mu=
 st
     be configured with four IP addresses; two for the public IP addresses, =
 and
     two for the private IP addresses.

     Support for the gif device must be compiled in to the FreeBSD kernel on
     both machines.  You can do this by adding the line

         pseudo-device gif

     to the kernel configuration files on both machines, and then compile,
     install, and reboot as normal.

     Configuring the tunnel is a two step process.  First the tunnel must be
     told what the outside (or public) IP addresses are, using gifconfig(8).
     Then the private IP addresses must be configured using ifconfig(8).

     On the gateway machine on network #1 you would run the following two
     commands to configure the tunnel.

         gifconfig gif0 A.B.C.D W.X.Y.Z
         ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffffff

     On the other gateway machine you run the same commands, but with the or=
 der
     of the IP addresses reversed.

         gifconfig gif0 W.X.Y.Z A.B.C.D
         ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.2.1 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffffff

     You can then run=20

         gifconfig gif0

     to see the configuration.  For example, on the network #1 gateway, you
     would see this

         # gifconfig gif0
         gif0: flags=3D8011<UP,POINTTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
                 inet 192.168.1.1 --> 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffffff
                 physical address inet A.B.C.D --> W.X.Y.Z

     As you can see, a tunnel has been created between the physical addresses
     A.B.C.D and W.X.Y.Z, and the traffic allowed through the tunnel is that
     between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1.

     This will also have added an entry to the routing table on both machine=
 s,
     which you can examine with "netstat -rn".  This output is from the gate=
 way
     host on network #1.

         # netstat -rn
         Routing tables

         Internet:
         Destination      Gateway       Flags    Refs    Use    Netif  Expire
         192.168.2.1      192.168.1.1   UH        0        0    gif0

     As the "Flags" value indicates, this is a host route, which means that
     each gateway knows how to reach the other gateway, but they do not know
     how to reach the rest of their respective networks.  That problem will =
 be
     fixed shortly.

     It is likely that you are running a firewall on both machines.  This wi=
 ll
     need to be circumvented for your VPN traffic.  You might want to allow =
 all
     traffic between both networks, or you might want to include firewall ru=
 les
     that protect both ends of the VPN from one another.

     It greatly simplifies testing if you configure the firewall to allow all
     traffic through the VPN.  You can always tighten things up later.  If y=
 ou
     are using ipfw(8) on the gateway machines then a command like

         ipfw add 1 allow ip from any to any via gif0

     will allow all traffic between the two end points of the VPN, without
     affecting your other firewall rules.  Obviously you will need to run th=
 is
     command on both gateway hosts.

     This is sufficient to allow each gateway machine to ping the other.  On
     192.168.1.1 you should be able to run

         ping 192.168.2.1

     and get a response, and you should be able to do the same thing on the
     other gateway machine.

     However, you will not be able to reach internal machines on either netw=
 ork
     yet.  This is because of the routing -- although the gateway machines k=
 now
     how to reach one another, they do not know how to reach the network beh=
 ind
     each one.

     To solve this problem you must add a static route on each gateway
     machine.  The command to do this on the first gateway would be:

         route add 192.168.2.0 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00

     This says "In order to reach the hosts on the network 192.168.2.0, send
     the packets to the host 192.168.2.1".  You will need to run a similar
     command on the other gateway, but with the 192.168.1.x addresses instea=
 d.

     IP traffic from hosts on one network will now be able to reach hosts on
     the other network.=20

     That has now created two thirds of a VPN between the two networks, in as
     much as it's "virtual" and it's a "network".  It's not private yet.  You
     can test this using ping(8) and tcpdump(8).  Log in to the gateway host
     and run

         tcpdump dst host 192.168.2.1

     In another log in session on the same host run

         ping 192.168.2.1

     You will see output that looks something like this.

         16:10:24.018080 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1: icmp: echo request
 	16:10:24.018109 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1: icmp: echo reply
 	16:10:25.018814 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1: icmp: echo request
 	16:10:25.018847 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1: icmp: echo reply
 	16:10:26.028896 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1: icmp: echo request
 	16:10:26.029112 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1: icmp: echo reply

     As you can see, the ICMP messages are going back and forth unencrypted.
     If you had used the "-s" parameter to tcpdump(8) to grab more bytes of
     data from the packets you would see more information.

     Obviously this is unacceptable.  The next section will discuss securing
     the link between the two networks so that it all traffic is automatical=
 ly
     encrypted.

       * Configure both kernels with "pseudo-device gif"

       * Edit /etc/rc.conf on gateway host #1 and add the following lines=20
         (replacing IP addresses as necessary).

           gifconfig_gif0=3D"A.B.C.D W.X.Y.Z"
           ifconfig_gif0=3D"inet 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffffff"
           static_routes=3D"vpn"
           route_vpn=3D"192.168.2.0 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00"

       * Edit your firewall script (/etc/rc.firewall, or similar) on both
         hosts, and add
 =20
             ipfw add 1 allow ip from any to any via gif0

       * Make similar changes to /etc/rc.conf on gateway host #2, reversing =
 the
         order of IP addresses.

 Step 2:  Securing the link

     To secure the link we will be using IPSec.  IPSec provides a mechanism =
 for
     two hosts to agree on an encryption key, and to then use this key in or=
 der
     to encrypt data between the two hosts.

     The are two areas of configuration to be considered here.

       1.  There must be a mechanism for two hosts to agree on the encryption
 	  mechanism to use.  Once two hosts have agreed on this mechanism
 	  there is said to be a "security association" between them.

       2.  There must be a mechanism for specifying which traffic should be
 	  encrypted.  Obviously, you don't want to encrypt all your outgoing
 	  traffic -- you only want to encrypt the traffic that is part of the
 	  VPN.  The rules that you put in place to determine what traffic will
 	  be encrypted are called "security policies".

     Security associations and security policies are both maintained by the
     kernel, and can be modified by userland programs.  However, before you =
 can
     do this you must configure the kernel to support IPSec and the
     Encapsulated Security Payload (ESP) protocol.  This is done by configur=
 ing
     a kernel with

         options IPSEC
         options IPSEC_ESP

     and recompiling, reinstalling, and rebooting.  As before you will need =
     do this to the kernels on both of the gateway hosts.

     You have two choices when it comes to setting up security associations.
     You can configure them by hand between two hosts, which entails choosing
     the encryption algorithm, encryption keys, and so forth, or you can use
     daemons that implement the Internet Key Exchange protocol (IKE) to do t=
 his
     for you.

     I recommend the latter.  Apart from anything else, it's easier to set u=
 p.

     Editing and displaying security policies is carred out using setkey(8).
     By analogy, setkey(8) is to the kernel's security policy tables as
     route(8) is to the kernel's routing tables.  setkey(8) can also display
     the current security associations, and to continue the analogy further,=
  is
     akin to "netstat -r" in that respect.

     There are a number of choices for daemons to manage security associatio=
 ns
     with FreeBSD.  This article will describe how to use one of these, raco=
 on.
     racoon is in the FreeBSD ports collection, in the security/ category, a=
 nd
     is installed in the usual way.

     racoon must be run on both gateway hosts.  On each host it is configured
     with the IP address of the other end of the VPN, and a secret key (which
     you choose, and must be the same on both gateways).

     The two daemons then contact one another, confirm that they are who they
     say they are (by using the secret key that you configured).  The daemons
     then generate a new secret key, and use this to encrypt the traffic over
     the VPN.  They periodically change this secret, so that even if an
     attacker were to crack one of the keys (which is as theoretically close=
     unfeasible as it gets) it won't do them much good -- by the time they've
     cracked the key the two daemons have chosen another one.

     racoon's configuration is stored in ${PREFIX}/etc/racoon.  You should f=
 ind
     a configuration file there, which should not need to be changed too muc=
 h.
     The other component of racoon's configuration, which you will need to
     change, is the 'pre-shared key'.

     The default racoon configuration expects to find this in the file
     ${PREFIX}/etc/racoon/psk.txt.  It is important to note that the pre-sha=
 red
     key is *not* the key that will be used to encrypt your traffic across t=
 he
     VPN link, it is simply a token that allows the key management daemons to
     trust one another.
 =20
     psk.txt contains a line for each remote site you are dealing with.  In
     this example, where there are two sites, each psk.txt file will contain
     one line (because each end of the VPN is only dealing with one other en=
 d).

     On gateway host #1 this line should look like this:

         W.X.Y.Z	    secret

     That is, the *public* IP address of the remote end, whitespace, and a t=
 ext
     string that provides the secret.  Obviously, you shouldn't use "secret"=
  as
     your key -- the normal rules for choosing a password apply.

     On gateway host #2 the line would look like this

         A.B.C.D	    secret

     That is, the public IP address of the remote end, and the same secret k=
 ey.
     psk.txt must be mode 0600 (i.e., only read/write to root) before racoon
     will run.

     You must run racoon on both gateway machines.  You will also need to add
     some firewall rules to allow the IKE traffic, which is carried over UDP=
     the isakmp (kmp =3D=3D key management protocol) port.  Again, this shou=
 ld be
     fairly early in your firewall ruleset.

         ipfw add 1 allow udp from A.B.C.D to W.X.Y.Z isakmp
         ipfw add 1 allow udp from W.X.Y.Z to A.B.C.D isakmp

     Once racoon is running you can try pinging one gateway host from the
     other.  The connection is still not encrypted, but racoon will then set=
  up
     the security associations between the two hosts -- this might take a
     moment, and you may see this as a short delay before the ping commands
     start responding.

     Once the security association has been set up you can view it using
     setkey(8).  Run

         setkey -D

     on either host to view the security assocation information.

     That's one half of the problem.  They other half is setting your securi=
 ty
     policies. =20

     To create a sensible security policy, let's review what's been set up so
     far.  This discussions hold for both ends of the link.

     Each IP packet that you send out has a header that contains data about =
 the
     packet.  The header includes the IP addresses of both the source and
     destination.  As we already know, private IP addresses, such as the
     192.168.x.y range are not supposed to appear on the public Internet.
     Instead, they must first be encapsulated inside another packet.  This
     packet must have the public source and destination IP addresses
     substituted for the private addresses.

     So if your outgoing packet started looking like this:

      .----------------------.
      | Src: 192.168.1.1     |
      | Dst: 192.168.2.1     |
      | <other header info>  |
      +----------------------+
      | <packet data>        |
      `----------------------'

     Then it will be encapsulated inside another packet, looking something l=
 ike
     this:

      .--------------------------.
      | Src: A.B.C.D             |
      | Dst: W.X.Y.Z             |
      | <other header info>      |
      +--------------------------+
      | .----------------------. |
      | | Src: 192.168.1.1     | |
      | | Dst: 192.168.2.1     | |
      | | <other header info>  | |
      | +----------------------+ |
      | | <packet data>        | |
      | `----------------------' |
      `--------------------------'

     This encapsulation is carried out by the gif device.  As you can see, t=
 he
     packet now has real IP addresses on the outside, and our original packet
     has been wrapped up as data inside the packet that will be put out on t=
 he
     Internet.

     Obviously, we want all traffic between the VPNs to be encrypted.  You
     might try putting this in to words, as=20

       If a packet leaves from A.B.C.D, and it is destined for W.X.Y.Z, then
       encrypt it, using the necessary security associations.

       If a packet arrives from W.X.Y.Z, and it is destined for A.B.C.D, then
       decrypt it, using the necessary security associations.

     That's close, but not quite right.  If you did this, all traffic to
     and from W.X.Y.Z, even traffic that was not part of the VPN, would be
     encrypted.  That's not quite what you want.  The correct policy is as
     follows

       If a packet leaves from A.B.C.D, and that packet is encapsulating
       another packet, and it is destined for W.X.Y.Z, then encrypt it, using
       the necessary security associations.

       If a packet arrives from W.X.Y.Z, and that packet is encapsulating
       another packet, and it is destined for A.B.C.D, then encrypt it, using
       the necessary security associations.

     A subtle change, but a necessary one.

     Security policies are also set using setkey(8).

     Unfortunately, setkey(8), and the related code, is under almost constant
     development.  And the version of setkey(8) included in FreeBSD 4.3 does=
 n't
     quite handle this properly.

     If you're using a version of FreeBSD-stable built after 3rd July 2001
     (that includes FreeBSD 4.4 and later) then you have the necessary fixes.
     If you are using an earlier version, including FreeBSD 4.3 and below th=
 en
     you need to make a very small change to the setkey(8) source code, and
     then recompile it and reinstall it.

     Without this change, setkey(8) won't allow you to specify the rule to
     correctly match encapsulated packets.

     The change is very simple.

       1.  Acquire a copy of the FreeBSD source code for the version of
           FreeBSD you are running.

       2.  Change to the src/usr.sbin/setkey/ directory.

       3.  Edit the file token.l.  Find the four lines that look like this:

             icmp    { PREPROC; yylval.num =3D IPPROTO_ICMP; return(UP_PROTO=
 ); }
             icmp6   { PREPROC; yylval.num =3D IPPROTO_ICMPV6; return(UP_PRO=
 TO); }
             tcp     { PREPROC; yylval.num =3D IPPROTO_TCP; return(UP_PROTO)=
 ; }
             udp     { PREPROC; yylval.num =3D IPPROTO_UDP; return(UP_PROTO)=
 ; }

           and add this line

             ipencap { PREPROC; yylval.num =3D IPPROTO_IPV4; return(UP_PROTO=
 ); }

           after them.

       4.  Rebuild and reinstall setkey(8) by running "make install".

     Once you have done this you can configure the security policy.  setkey(=
 8)
     features a configuration language for defining the policy.  You can eit=
 her
     enter configuration instructions via stdin, or you can use the -f option
     to specify a filename that contains configuration instructions. =20

     The configuration on gateway host #1 (which has the public IP address
     A.B.C.D) to force all outbound traffic to W.X.Y.Z to be encrypted is

         spdadd A.B.C.D/32 W.X.Y.Z/32 ipencap -P out ipsec
           esp/tunnel/A.B.C.D-W.X.Y.Z/require;

     Put these commands in a file (e.g., /etc/ipsec.conf) and then run=20

         setkey -f /etc/ipsec.conf

     "spdadd" tells setkey(8) that we want to add a rule to the secure policy
     database.  The rest of this line specifies which packets will match this
     policy.  "A.B.C.D/32" and "W.X.Y.Z/32" are the IP addresses and netmasks
     that identify the network or hosts that this policy will apply to.  In
     this case, we want it to apply to traffic between these two hosts.
     "ipencap" tells the kernel that this policy should only apply to packets
     that encapsulate other packets.  "-P out" says that this policy applies=
     outgoing packets, and "ipsec" says that the packet will be secured.

     The second line specifies how this packet will be encrypted.  "esp" is =
 the
     protocol that will be used, while "tunnel" indicates that the packet wi=
 ll
     be further encapsulated in an IPSec packet.  The repeated use of A.B.C.D
     and W.X.Y.Z is used to select the security association to use, and the
     final "require" mandates that packets must be encrypted if they match t=
 his
     rule.

     This rule only matches outgoing packets.  You will need a similar rule =
     match incoming packets.

         spdadd W.X.Y.Z/32 A.B.C.D/32 ipencap -P in ipsec
           esp/tunnel/W.X.Y.Z-A.B.C.D/require;

     Note the "in" instead of "out" in this case, and the necessary reversal=
  of
     the IP addresses.

     The other gateway host (which has the public IP address W.X.Y.Z) will n=
 eed
     similar rules.

         spdadd W.X.Y.Z/32 A.B.C.D/32 ipencap -P out ipsec
           esp/tunnel/W.X.Y.Z-A.B.C.D/require;
         spdadd A.B.C.D/32 W.X.Y.Z/32 ipencap -P in ipsec
           esp/tunnel/A.B.C.D-W.X.Y.Z/require;

     Finally, you need to add firewall rules to allow ESP and IPENCAP packets
     back and forth.  These rules will need to be added to both hosts.

         ipfw add 1 allow esp from A.B.C.D to W.X.Y.Z
         ipfw add 1 allow esp from W.X.Y.Z to A.B.C.D
 	ipfw add 1 allow ipencap from A.B.C.D to W.X.Y.Z
 	ipfw add 1 allow ipencap from W.X.Y.Z to A.B.C.D

     Because the rules are symmetric you can use the same rules on each gate=
 way
     host.

     Outgoing packets will now look something like this.

      .------------------------------.  --------------------------.
      | Src: A.B.C.D                 |                            |
      | Dst: W.X.Y.Z                 |                            |
      | <other header info>          |                            |  Encrypt=
 ed
      +------------------------------+                            |  packet.
      | .--------------------------. |  -------------.            |  contents
      | | Src: A.B.C.D             | |               |            |  are=20
      | | Dst: W.X.Y.Z             | |               |            |  complet=
 ely
      | | <other header info>      | |               |            |- secure
      | +--------------------------+ |               |  Encap'd   |  from th=
 ird
      | | .----------------------. | |  -.           |  packet    |  party
      | | | Src: 192.168.1.1     | | |   |  Original |- with real |  snooping
      | | | Dst: 192.168.2.1     | | |   |  packet,  |  IP addr   |
      | | | <other header info>  | | |   |- private  |            |
      | | +----------------------+ | |   |  IP addr  |            |
      | | | <packet data>        | | |   |           |            |
      | | `----------------------' | |  -'           |            |
      | `--------------------------' |  -------------'            |
      `------------------------------'  --------------------------'

     When they are received by the far end of the VPN they will first be
     decrypted (using the security associations that have been negotiated by
     racoon).  Then they will enter the gif interface, which will unwrap the
     second layer, until you are left with the innermost packet, which can t=
 hen
     travel in to the inner network.

     You can check the security using the same ping(8) test from earlier.
     First, log in to the A.B.C.D gateway machine, and run

         tcpdump dst host 192.168.2.1

     In another log in session on the same host run

         ping 192.168.2.1

     This time you should see output like the following:

         <XXX tcpdump output>

     Now, as you can see, tcpdump(8) shows the ESP packets.  If you try and
     examine them with the -s option you will see (apparently) gibberish,
     because of the encryption.

     Congratulations.  You have just set up a VPN between two remote sites.

       * Configure both kernels with=20

           options IPSEC
           options IPSEC_ESP

       * Install ports/security/racoon.  Edit ${PREFIX}/etc/racoon/psk.txt on
         both gateway hosts, adding an entry for the remote host's IP address
         and a secret key that they both know.  Make sure this file is mode
         0600.

       * If necessary, make the one line change to src/usr.sbin/setkey/token=
 .l,
         then recompile and reinstall setkey(8).

       * Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf on each host

           ipsec_enable=3D"YES"
           ipsec_file=3D"/etc/ipsec.conf"

       * Create an /etc/ipsec.conf on each host that contains the necessary
         spdadd lines.  On gateway host #1 this would be

           spdadd A.B.C.D/32 W.X.Y.Z/32 ipencap -P out ipsec
             esp/tunnel/A.B.C.D-W.X.Y.Z/require;
           spdadd W.X.Y.Z/32 A.B.C.D/32 ipencap -P in ipsec
             esp/tunnel/W.X.Y.Z-A.B.C.D/require;

         On gateway host #2 this would be

           spdadd W.X.Y.Z/32 A.B.C.D/32 ipencap -P out ipsec
             esp/tunnel/W.X.Y.Z-A.B.C.D/require;
           spdadd A.B.C.D/32 W.X.Y.Z/32 ipencap -P in ipsec
             esp/tunnel/A.B.C.D-W.X.Y.Z/require;

       * Add firewall rules to allow IKE, ESP, and IPENCAP traffic to both
         hosts

           ipfw add 1 allow udp from A.B.C.D to W.X.Y.Z isakmp
           ipfw add 1 allow udp from W.X.Y.Z to A.B.C.D isakmp
           ipfw add 1 allow esp from A.B.C.D to W.X.Y.Z
           ipfw add 1 allow esp from W.X.Y.Z to A.B.C.D
 	  ipfw add 1 allow ipencap from A.B.C.D to W.X.Y.Z
   	  ipfw add 1 allow ipencap from W.X.Y.Z to A.B.C.D

 Step 3:  All the horrible Windows related configuration you need to do

     The previous two steps should suffice to get the VPN up and running.
     Machines on each network will be able to refer to one another using IP
     addresses, and all traffic across the link will be automatically and
     securely encrypted.

     So far so good.  However, you probably have hosts running various flavo=
 urs
     of Windows at each site, and you would like to have them all appear in =
 the
     "Network Neighbourhood" or equivalent.

     Out of the box, this won't work.  This is because the SMB protocol, aro=
 und
     which Windows' file sharing and related activities are based, was not
     originally designed for use on more than one subnet (or, indeed, for IP
     networks).  Over time a number of kludges have been bolted on to the
     protocol to correct for these deficiencies, and you will need to implem=
 ent
     them before browsing will work.

     You should note that you don't need FreeBSD machines to do most of what
     follows.  I think Windows NT or Windows 2000 hosts acting as domain
     controllers will also do the right thing.  Of course, if you don't have
     any NT or 2000 hosts, and you don't feel like paying for the priviledge,
     you can use FreeBSD to do all this for you as well.

     At this point our network is composed of two subnets, 192.168.1.x, and
     192.168.2.x.  In order for the "Network Neighbourhood" to work properly=
 , a
     number of things need to be configured.

       1.  All your machines need to be configured to be in the same
           workgroup.  For the rest of the examples I will use the workgroup
           name "WORKGROUP".  You should, of course, change this to what ever
           you are using.

       2.  Each subnet needs to have a host acting as a "local master browse=
 r".
           This a Windows term.  The local master browser is responsible for
           maintaining a list of all the hosts on the network.  When a Windo=
 ws
           machine needs to find a list of all the other hosts on the network
           it sends a broadcast message out saying "Who is the local master
           browser?".  The local master then replies, and the Windows host c=
 an
           then query the local master for a list of all the hosts on the sa=
 me
           subnet.

           There should be one local master browser per subnet.

       3.  Of course, this only works within a subnet.  In order for this to=
 =20
           work across subnets, one host has to be the "domain master
           browser".  The domain master browser maintains a complete list of
           all the hosts on all the subnets.  This is done by having all the
           local master browsers send it updates periodically.  Without a
           domain master browser your Network Neighbourhood will not show up
           hosts in other subnets.

           There should only be one domain master browser.

       4.  Windows network is based on the Netbios protocol.  This has a
           concept of hostnames, but it is different from the IP concept of
           hostnames.  Netbios name look ups do not normally work across
           subnets.

 	  In order to work around this, one machine (and only one) machine
 	  should be designated a "WINS Server".  The WINS Server is normally
 	  the same host as the domain master browser.  It is the
 	  responsibility of the WINS Server to maintain the mapping of Netbios
 	  host names to IP addresses.  Without this mapping, your Network
 	  Neighbourhood will show hosts in other subnets (because of the local
 	  master browser -> domain master browser communication) but your
 	  Windows hosts in another network will not be able to communicate
 	  with them, because they will not be able to convert their Netbios
 	  names in to IP addresses.

           There can only be one WINS Server per network (note: not per subn=
 et,
           per network), and every other host needs to know its IP address.

     That's the bare minimum you need to get started.  Now you need to design
     your network.

     For the sake of this example, we will assume that you have two more
     FreeBSD hosts, one on each subnet.  Lets give these the IP addressess
     192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.2 respectively, and make them responsible for
     coordinating the Windows network and allowing browsing across the VPN to
     work.  These machines might also have file shares on them, but this
     article will not touch on that, as it's trivial to set up, and well
     documented.

     Recall that we will need two local master browsers, one domain master
     browser, and one WINS server.

     To keep things simple, 192.168.1.2 will be a local master browser, the
     domain master browser, and the WINS Server.  192.168.2.2 will be the lo=
 cal
     master browser for its network, and will send updates to the domain mas=
 ter
     browser.

     You should install Samba, from ports/net/samba/, on both hosts.  Samba's
     configuration file is ${PREFIX}/etc/smb.conf.

     Both hosts will share some configuration information, since they will b=
 oth
     be acting as a local master browser.

     Edit ${PREFIX}/etc/smb.conf and add the following lines:

       [global]
         ; The network workgroup
         workgroup =3D WORKGROUP

         ; The name for this server, as it will appear in the=20
 	; Network Neighbourhood
         server string =3D Samba Server

 	; Hosts that will be allowed to access this server
         hosts allow =3D 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

 	; Template for generating log files
         log file =3D /var/log/log.%M

 	; This host is a local master.  It is the preferred master, and the
 	; os level is set high enough that it will be chosen in preference
 	; to every other host on the network, should that eventuality
 	; arise.
         local master =3D yes
         preferred master =3D yes
         os level =3D 65

     The per-host configuration is as follows.

     192.168.1.2 is the WINS Server and domain master.  Add these lines to t=
 he
     bottom of the "[global]" section in the configuration file.

 	; This host is the domain master for the whole network.
         domain master =3D yes

 	; This host will act as a WINS Server.
         wins support =3D yes

     192.168.2.2 is neither of these.  The lines to add for that are

         ; This host will not be the domain master.
 	domain master =3D no

 	; This host is not a WINS Server, but it needs to know the address
 	; of the WINS Server
 	wins server =3D 192.168.1.2

     Make sure that the Samba daemons (smbd(8) and nmbd(8)) are running on b=
 oth
     machines.

     Now you need to configure your Windows client machines.  Specifically,
     they need to know the address of the WINS Server (192.168.1.2).  There =
 are
     two ways you can do this.

       1.  If you are 'statically' configuring the hosts then this informati=
 on
           can be entered by doing Start -> Control Panel -> Network -> ...

       2.  Alternatively, if you are using DHCP then must DHCP servers can
           be configured to provide this information.  If you use the ISC DH=
 CPD
           then the relevant line to add to the configuration file is=20

 	    options ...
 --=20
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
 FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                       \/  \=
  ^
    --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
 _)

 --L0TNCHh3fkwjpuuE

 --L0TNCHh3fkwjpuuE--