Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 02:16:40 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Resume mode' on Toshiba T2100

Martin Cracauer scribbled this message on Apr 23:
> > Martin Cracauer scribbled this message on Apr 23:
> Well, I have difficulties understanding the text of the LINT kernel,
> if could could answer two questions?

well.. one way is to look at the code... :)

> What exactly does APM_IDLE_CPU do? From LINT it is unclear for me if
> this option is "better" and should be enabled if my laptop
> supports. Or is it better *not* to have it if my laptop doesn't need
> it? What exactly does it do, BTW?

basicly APM_IDLE_CPU tells FreeBSD to call the APM idle routin instead
of what it normally does... FreeBSD normally calls the hlt instruction
which stops the processor until an interrupt is recieved...  this can
be useful for possibly causing the processor to "slow" down to a lower
speed...

> As I understand, APM_BROKEN_STATCLOCK is needed only for some
> laptops. How do I tell whether I need it? Crash? Wrong clock? Anything
> else?

well... from LINT:
#  Some APM implementations will not work with the `statistics clock'
#  enabled, so it's disabled by default if the APM driver is enabled.
#  However, this is not true for all laptops.  Try removing the option
#  APM_BROKEN_STATCLOCK and see if suspend/resume work

there is a statistics clock (rtc0 on vmstat -i) that lets your machine
gather information about how the machine is running and what is spent
where...  basicly with APM_BROKEN_STATCLOCK defined it won't enable
running the stat clock because on some notebooks it prevents the notebook
from suspend/resuming...

hope my explinations help you... ttyl...

--
  John-Mark
  Cu Networking                             Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD