Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 01:58:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        jnelson@acronet.net (Jeremy Nelson)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable

According to Jeremy Nelson:
> I concur.  I will be much saddened by the removal of voxware:  It works
> exceptionally for my setup, a pnp awe32 with a yamaha daughterboard.
> I looked at the source to luigi's stuff and it still doesnt support the
> midi devices.  While i have no complaint about that at all (after all,
> there's nothing that says it has to be supported), it strikes me as
> intriguing to remove a working sound driver that supports something as
> important as midi, in favor of a sound driver that does not.
>
> I suppose as Jordan says, if they remove voxware from freebsd, some of us
> users will have to conspire together to maintain it seperately.  Anyone
> interested in such a project?  I admit i would have to join; all i do
> with my sound card is 'playmidi'[1].  I cant be the only one.

Actually, that was not what Jordan said at all. That was someone else.
But the fact of the matter is that Jordan probably have good reasons to
want to remove Voxware from FreeBSD. I really don't know much about the
soundcode, but I suspect Luigi's i better designed, and brings something
new to FreeBSD's soundcode. If not, I don't think Luigi would have bothered.

So... (let's say) Luigi's code is better at what it DOES handle...
Why have two soundcodes, that does basically the same thing? Ripping out
out just to clean the tree up seems like a good idea to me.

Now, you want midi and whatnot. Why not do as Jordan says and add midi
support to the new code instead of wasting energy on a project to keep
old code (which will rot more and more no matter what) alive?
I suspect it should be a pretty straightforward cut'n'paste job from
the old code with very little actual change needing to be done. Just find
out where and how to hook the code in and see the old code for how to do
it. Then again, i haven't looked too closely as I said.

  /Mikael