Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:07:37 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config (Was: GENERIC Kernel Debate)

>>  [etc, etc.]
>>
>> at 7 bucks a meg...who cares?
>
>People who distribute boot floppies?

This is silly. There's no reason to put a kitchen-sink kernel on
a boot floppy. Having a couple of different boot floppy kernels is
easy. The "generic kernel" issue is one of compatibility, content
and size.

>No, wait...
>
>People who want to sell their sync serial cards which require
>proprietary drivers into the "I couln't build a kernel to save
>my life" market.

Hardly. Anyone who thinks that someone is going to be compelled to
use unix simply because he doesnt have to build a kernel has his
head, neck and shoulders buried in the sand.

Based on our experience with LINUX loadable modules, building a
FreeBSD kernel is a lot easier and requires less support than loadable
modules. Unless you implement a perfectly seemless loadable module
interface, they are arguably more difficult and more problematic than
static kernel modules.

My message was in response to your goals, which seemed to be mostly
addressing the memory footprint (ie, discarding initialization code, etc).

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX