Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:08:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NAT port redirection question

I have a dedicated dialup customer who I set up a FBSD box running user
ppp and natd on tun0, and it's been working better than any appliance I
could imagine; Win95 boxes on the same LAN seem to browse the web faster
than they do directly over DUN.

However, they now want one of their Ether printers to be accessible from
the Internet, so I'm trying to set up a static port map, or redirection.
I checked out natd(8) and the command looks pretty simple, it's just a
question or where natd is invoked.  I tried this in an rc.firewall file,
which wouldn't work:

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd -redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.133:35 35 \
 all from any to any via tun0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

So, I went back to:

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via tun0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

then, in rc.conf, tried:

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="tun0"
natd_flags="-redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.133:35 35"

I didn't get any errors, but it doesn't appear to be working, either (I
have the customer calling the printer vendor to make sure they have the
printer's gateway settings correct right now).

Before I pull any more hairs out, I just want to make sure I'm not missing
anything.

TIA!

up@3.am							    http://3.am