Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2001 18:11:51 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
Cc:        Leo Clark <clark_l@efn.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Orinoco PCI cards and FreeBSD-STABLE

In message <a05001994b7b6fd6656a2@[192.168.1.1]> Michelle Brownsworth writes:
: My laptop's running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE with an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA
: card, but not with a PCI adapter, so my configuration won't be any
: help to you.  However, I have gotten some speedy and excellent help
: from some knowledgeable folks on freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, so I'm
: taking the liberty of cc'ing the list.  Good luck on getting a
: solution.

man pcic

If you don't have it on your system, upgrade because the Orinoco PCI
adapter won't work otherwise.  Some (all?) orinoco adapaters were made
by cretins who removed necessary jumpers which causes FreeBSD to freak
out on the second card.  You should read pcic to find out how to
configure it (I spell it out there, and if I'm not clear enough, let
me know and I'll work on improving things).

You will also need to update your pccardd.

: >Aparently the TI controler on the PCI card is programmed to use ISA
: >interrupts and this isn't supported under FreeBSD-STABLE.

Can you give me more details?  They should be using the pci
interrupts.  I'm pretty sure that they will be, since I've booted my
test machine with an orinoco card in it and the $$$ for the massive
pccard upgrade were to make a similar PCI card work with orinoco cards
in it. :-)

: >Is there another way around this?  Has anyone else had experiance with
: >these lucent cards under BSD?

I have used the lucent cards under -stable a few weeks ago, but
haven't booted my stable test bed in a while to test that specific
card.

Warner