Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 18:26:19 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ICQ Behind NAT (Was: question about 2 subnets on the same switch.)

At 01:06 PM 5/8/1999 , Christopher Michaels wrote:
>Pardon my intrusion, but why is this so problematic?  I've been running ICQ
>behind my firewall w/o any apparent problems.  Maybe I just haven't noticed
>them.
>
>Also, on that note, what SOCKS proxy would you recommend?
>
>-Chris

It's the way the ICQ protocol is. I don't know anything more technical than
that.
As for why you haven't noticed... have you ever had problems with 1)
sending messages to someone else (something like `can't connected directly
to user`), 2) not seeing someone else in a chat or being unable to start a
chat, 3) file transfers not getting through. Oftentimes, it takes a person
on the other end to also have a firewall in order to notice these problems.

I've always used the SOCKS5 proxy from www.socks.nec.com. There's also a
port for NEC's socks5, but the last time I checked (few weeks ago), the
port was one version behind (v1.09 is current versus v1.08 for the port).
The distfile for 1.08 is also no longer available. Installing NEC's socks
from their tarball isn't very difficult. It's not much more than the
standard "configure && make && make install" process.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441