Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:20:43 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Inker, Evan" <EInker@GAM.COM>, "'Questions@FreeBSD.org'" <Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Replacement for DecServer 700 (terminal server)

Yes, it is possible.

Your going to need some sort of multiport serial board,
FreeBSD supports a few.  I'd search the list archives
for different person's experiences.

As far as the wiring between ports goes, it's simple.
RS232 ports are either configured as DTE (like the ports
on a PC) which are customairly associated with the male connector,
or DCE (like the ports on a modem) which are customairly
associated with the female connector.

If you plug a DTE into a DCE you use a straight-through
cable.  If you plug a DTE into a DTE or a DCE into a
DCE, you use a null-modem cable.

You have to find out from the multiport board docs how it's
ports are configured.

As far as accessing the ports, after recompiling the kernel
to use the multiport board, you would MAKEDEV the serial
ports, and then telnet into the
FreeBSD system and most probably run "tip" or "cu" to connect
to the cuaa0 through cuaa8 or whatever port you want.