Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 23:24:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        fullermd@futuresouth.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, (Warner Losh) <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

Hi Terry Lambert;  On 09-Oct-97 you wrote:

>  Does this strike anyone else as a discipline issue rather than
>  a user read-access control issue?

Yes. It is what I mean by quantitive vs. qaulitive.

We are discssing a rule implementation while the old one is not enforced.
Too many rules, and this will become M$ Technet (or whatver they call it
nowdays.

Splitting the lists to more specialized is good, but the quality of our
work is more important.  If submitters will always do a make world on every
patch before submitting, maybe 10% of the noise will go away (I usspect the
number is too high, but we have seen that happen.

Checkpoints are also useful;  Take so many checkins, build (automatically,
and publish the last successful checkpoint.  Restricting cvs update
downloads while an upload is in progress makes sense.  I solve this one by
careful monitoring of the cvsup run and double running, to get a clean,
no-change run.  But I am a novice to this...

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313