Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:16:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The new bootloader - how do you set it up?

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Peter Wemm wrote:

> > >   disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 <disk>
> > >
> > > will upgrade you completely.  The visible parts of the new loader are
> > > in /boot/loader, and are updated by 'make world'.
>
> I'll also mention that this is jumping in at the deep end.  You can
> shortcut and do this:   echo "/boot/loader" > /boot.config
> as an intermediate step and test that.  This will cause the existing
> bootblocks to load the 3rd stage boot loader by default instead of
> /kernel - but you are not yet committed.  You still have the old boot:
> prompt and can load /kernel.aout explicitly.  The command that Mike has
> given puts the new boot *blocks* on the disk which are not strictly
> necessary to use the /boot/loader boot loader.
>
> You can actually test the new bootloader out by explicitly typing in
> /boot/loader  at the existing boot: prompt.

Thanks for the excellent summary; I started testing tonight, and things
aren't going exactly how I'd guessed ... and I've got at least one new
question ...

First, the question regarding the move from lkms to kernel modules.  I
see I now have a /modules directory, but it's empty.  I know my /lkm
directory is (was, I mean ... ) being updated by the installworld, so
that I always had up to date lkms.  I always kept lkms and kernel in
sync, because I understood that.

With the new modules, well, they're *.ko's, right?  Where are they?
/sys/modules/* ?  That looks right, but do I then have to specifically
go copy them all into /modules, so that they're available to the elf
kernel?  And will the elf kernel automatically install those it needs,
like the cd9660 fs?

2nd: I tried your suggested procedure, typing /boot/loader, at the boot
prompt.  Tried it first with an aout kernel, then with an elf kernel.
Same thing happens either time, it hangs immediately after printing

symbols=[0x0,040,0x0

That's precisely where it stops (hangs).  Am I doing something wrong?

Last item, which man page (if any) is up-to-date regarding the allowable
syntax in boot.config?

Thanks a million bucks for giving me a procedure I could test with,
because if I'd used that "echo '/boot/loader' >/boot.config" thing, and
it'd hung then, I'd be kinda out of touch, I think.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).