Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:03:25 +0000
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tilman Keskin?z <arved@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: radeon/powerpc32 and xorg-server 1.17

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:23:48PM +0200, Tilman Keskin?z wrote:
> With the latest xorg-server update removing xf86-video-ati-ums,

I'm wondering if it was removed because it really does no longer work with
new xorg-server, or it was simply deleted because "oh well everyone should
be using KMS driver by now" stanza?

If you manually revive it with "svn cp", does it still work (with new xorg
server)?

> there is now no video driver anymore for radeon-based 32bit powerpcs.
>
> Now there are two options:
>
> 1. get KMS working on powerpc32

I recall that Justin had some progress [1] here, but apparently it was not
commit-ready so it never hit the tree.

> 2. Forward port the last ums driver version so that it works with the
> current X Server.

Ideally both options should be doable.  I'm not sure why UMS drivers were
deprecated so quickly. :(

./danfe

[1] https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2015-August/007728.html