Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:59:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, n_hibma@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible solution for USB Ethernet problem

Bill Paul writes:
| Previously I mentioned that I was having trouble sending full sized
| ethernet frames (1500 bytes) over USB using my ADMtek AN986 Pegasus
| eval board. The problem turned out to be in the uhci driver, however
| I'm not certain exactly how to incorporate my fix.
|
| The problem I was seeing was that large frames would trigger babble
| errors, which would cause an endpoint halt and wedge the RX or TX pipe.
| Julian brought up another driver written by Doug Ambrisko which appeared
| to be able to transfer 1500-byte frames without any trouble. However,
| neither he nor Doug bothered to mention if their test machines had UHCI
| or OHCI hubs. Given what I've learned, I suspect they were OHCI.

We used both OHCI to itself for initial debugging then an OHCI machine to
UHCI and a UHCI to UHCI.  So it didn't seem that saying what stack we used
was important since they both worked for us.  This was -current as of a
week or so ago.

We did run into an issue with OHCI, in that if we plugged in any USB device
after the machine was booted we would get the td_??? panic.  So we had
to have the device plugged in when we booted the machine.  After the
machine was up we could unplug it and plug it back in.

For testing we did ping's and ftp's of /kernel and it worked okay.
I also ran netperf and got 3.4Mbits/sec with MTU's of 900 & 1500.

So we are not saying the USB stack is perfect, but it worked for us.

Doug A.