Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:02:04 -0400
From:      Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding messages from mly driver under 4.3 release

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Aug 14 23:47:00 saru /kernel: mly0: physical device 0:3  sense data received
> > Aug 14 23:47:00 saru /kernel: mly0:   sense key 11  asc 47  ascq 00
>
> This is bad; sense key 11 is "ABORTED COMMAND"; I don't know what the
> asc/ascq values mean.  I would be concerned about the disk at ID 3.
It looks like the removable drive enclosures I am using (CRU DataPort
VIII)
are the culprit.  If I don't use these fancy things and hook the SCSI
cable dirrectly to the drive the sense errors go away.

> > Initially the RAID seemed to be performing fine except for the above
> > messages.  I just managed to hang any process that attempts to acess
> > the RAID. The process table shows the following for the hung processes:
>
> I think there may still be some races in the mly driver; I thought the
> new version in -current was better (you can pull the sources from
> -current and try them yourself), but at least one test site has reported
> they are still having trouble.
>
> I have not had time to work on this recently; I'd hoped to get it fixed
> for 4.4, but that's not looking likely right now.
>
> Sorry. 8(
OK I have the latest code from current.  I have built a debug kernel.
Hopefully I can get a dump when it hangs and us this to get a feel
for where the deadlock is.  Wish me luck. (-;

Larry