Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:04:45 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv/Alevt with ModularTech MM100TV(UK)

Steve,

> Anyway, fxtv works, although I need to force it to PALBDGHI as I'm in the UK.

This is right.
UK is actually PAL-I format.

> PART 2: ALEVT
> -------------
>
> I've compile alevt straight from ports, and also vbidecode. (for version
> numbers see below), however neither seem to work, and the minimal documentation
> for vbidecode doesn't tell me very much, and it's idea of debugging is
> appalling!

just don't bother with vbidecode. I can make it work with the
VideoText port, but really is a pain in the bumb.

All you need is Alevt

1) start alevt FIRST!!!!
2) start fxtv
3) in fxtv, tune to the TV station you want teletext from.
4) it should all work.

teletext cannot survive bad TV signals. If you get the video
from your cable TV box you will be OK.

> ** Question 4) Does anyone have the interface specs for /dev/vbi, I can't find
> them!

open /dev/vbi
each frame has 16x2x2048 bytes of data in.
You can read this from /dev/vbi.
Reading from /dev/vbi blocks when there is no data to be read.
You can use select to check if there is any data there
before reading.

> ** Question 5) Is there a TV card than can decode digital cable yet, I've got
> that at home too and I'd be interested in that one.

Hauppauge are about to release one.

Roger