Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 08:11:49 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, joerg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

> What I originally asked, (& I suspect a few others might be interested in),
> was a simple brief explanation of not _how_ CVS is called, but _why_ CVS is
> integrated in the build ?  ( I have been under the impression CVS in
> FreeBSD release production is used for more than a simple checkout prior
> to make world ? )

Julian, I have told you this once allready:

> > No, it's because it becomes more reliable and reproducible and it saves
> > a complete reinstall of a machine to make a sterile environment for the
> > release building process.

> In the FreeBSD-1.* series we didnt incur the bloat & drag of CVS
> so I'm merely asking: _why_, what did it gain us (& is it still essential,
> & unavoidable )  ?
Which is exactly why we do it now.  I don't think you have any idea
how many shots it took to make 1.1.

> Naturally reading release/Makefile provides details, but that
> just directs anyone interested to analyse the Makefile for complex
> current methodology.
Well, have a good time then :-)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.