Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 10:32:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@amor.wcs.uq.edu.au>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000

Chad R. Larson writes :-

> As I recall, David Gilbert wrote:
> > I must say that I'm dissapointed that I can't run it.
>
> This is older hat, but I've had WordPerfect 8 running on a
> 2.2.8-STABLE system under Linux emulation since Dec, 1998.
>
> Has anyone tried to evaluate pros and cons of the various office
> suites?
>
> 1)  Applixware - native
> 2)  StarOffice - linux
> 3)  WordPerfect - linux
> 4)  anything - Wine
> 5)  ???

I notice that people on this thread have been cc'ing to `emulators' and
`stable'.  There doesn't seem to be an emulators list - it is `emulation'
or `freebsd-emulation' according to Majordomo.  This thread probably
belongs on emulation so the folks there have been missing it so far.

To answer Chad's question from my perspective, to capture more of the
desktop rather than server market, FreeBSD needs a workable `office'
solution.  I was hoping staroffice might be that.  I have had my secretary
evaluating it with a view to weaning her off W98/Office97.  Here is a
summary of results.

So as not to create too much of an initial shock, we installed the W98
version of staroffice about 4-6 months ago and tried to use it as much
as possible.  She reported that the suite was pretty much capable of all
the things she needed and was fairly easy to get used to, BUT:-

1.  It was slow, noticeably slower than she was used to.
2.  It caused W98 to crash more frequently when she was trying to `push'.
3.  She wasn't able to produce documents that our clients could open
    correctly under Office97.  Since we send a lot of documents as email
    attachments, this became the killer and so we haven't moved to
    `phase 2' which was to install it under a decent OS which should have
    cured the crashes.

At the moment I've basically given up - she uses W98 and I use FreeBSD.
I would be very interested in other peoples experiences.  Perhaps
`emulation' might be the better forum to do this.

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts            (garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au)