Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:58:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        uttt@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Tom T. Tran)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solaris x86

>         With all the talk of SCO compatability and Linux compatability I was
> wondering if perhaps Solaris x86 might be on the horizon. I'm curious as to
> whether or not having the system call wrappers for Linux and SCO bring us
> any closer to having Solaris x86 binary compatability.

FreeBSD does not support a significant number of the "value added" features
of Solaris (I don't care to dicker over details but I will just hold up
Sun's threads implementation as a great example) - and, to date, the few
Solaris applications that I would want to run on FreeBSD tend to require
these things.  We could, I suppose, shoot to try to support a subset of the
functionality..

Fortunately, Sun has done us all a great service by playing the game
entirely differently from everyone else  :-)

Eccccch.  The thought of trying to support Solaris binaries gives me the
willies.  :-)

... Joe

Joe Greco - Systems Software Engineer, UNIX/Network Hacker, Etc.   414/362-3617
Marquette Electronics, Inc. - R&D - Milwaukee, WI                jgreco@mei.com