Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:35:45 -0600
From:      chris@tourneyland.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTP and Telnet have stopped working

Hey all,

I have a FreeBSD machine that is running fairly smoothly. Recently,
however, its telnet and FTP daemons seem to have stopped working. I can't
ftp or telnet in to it, even from the machine itself. I can ping it just
fine, and it can ping (and FTP) out just fine.

The only thing I can think of, is fairly recently (maybe a week ago) a
friend telnetted in to install ssh for me. The time that FTP and telnet
stopped working corresponds fairly roughly to my first reboot after he
installed ssh. That made me think that maybe he disabled ftpd and telnetd
in my inetd.conf file, which then kicked in when I rebooted. But they're
untouched in inetd.conf. So much for that. Another piece of data: ftpd and
telnetd don't show up on a ps -aux, though I'm not sure if they ever do.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Chris