Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 01:01:17 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        rv@groa.uct.ac.za (Russell Vincent)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Oct 22 panic

Russell Vincent wrote in message ID
<m0vH6Gw-0004vzC@groa.uct.ac.za>:
> I am not sure if this will be of any use to anyone. An Oct 22 -current
> kernel panic'ed with the following data. I did an Adaptec verify of
> the 3 disks involved in the ccd config of that filesystem and they
> all turned up clean.

Beware: the adaptec verify DOES NOT do a good test of the disks
... soft errors are missed as the drive or adapter auto-retries. The
only way is to either listen to the drive(s) during the verify or NOT
to use that for testing the drives. I prefer `dd if=/dev/<disk>
of=/dev/null bs=64k' myself.

Gary