Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:29:53 -0500
From:      "Steven Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@blinx.net>, "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

You lost me. How what is being done? You can use ifconfig to assign
as many blocks/netmasks as you feel the urge to. It'll do it.

How does it determine what source address to use? I'd be guessing on
this one but here's my guess:

1. If your communicating with a directly connected subnet then the OS
    will use the IP address that's bound to the ethernet card that is
    within that subnet;
2. If your communicating to a network that is not directly connected
    then the OS will use (here's where I get guesswork though I plan
    to test this when I leave work) either the main IP address (i.e. the
    one that wasn't created as an 'alias') or the ip address bound to
    the ethernet card that is in the same subnet as the next hop.

-Steve

> Then whats the alternative, it just works out of thin air? Now i'm really
> curious to find out how this is being done, although I have seen it done
on
> my own systems in the past, just not by me, so i'm intrigued to find out
how
> this is being accomplished. -- Jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan M. Slivko <jslivko@blinx.net>