Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 19:55:15 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   satan as a trojan

An extract on paper from a jpl.nasa.gov internal doc, makes the point one
must be careful which site one gets Satan source from, as tampered code could
contain hidden code.

It'd be all too easy to reflexively :
	archie satan .... ftp ... run

What better target for a trojan horse diseminator, than the machines of
people concerned enough to run security checkers.
It's a case where a `blessed` port stored locally on freefall could be
reassuring, also ideally such port should only be updated after the
maintainer actually understands the upgrade diffs from his master feed site :-)

I guess if one ftp's some kind of checksum off the Satan master site
& the code itself off a local high speed site it should be OK, but I suspect
`cksum` can be easily fooled, so I hope & assume Satan master site will be
offering something harder to forge.

I'll wait for someone else to port Satan,
I'm spending time on Hylafax (replaces flexfax).

Julian Stacey