Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:57:19 -0500
From:      brianc@netrover.com (Brian Campbell)
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: non-passworded accounts

Bill Paul writes:

> The problem is that so far you haven't described what happens in
> either case. All you said in your original message was that it
> 'doesn't work.' I'd like to state for the record that there's
> little I hate more than when somebody comes to me complaining that
> something 'doesn't work' and then expects me to divine the nature
> of their problem and solve it without any further details.
>
> If you really expect anyone to help you with this, you're going to
> have to do more than say 'it doesn't work.' Explain how you arrived
> at the conclusion that it 'doesn't work' in as much detail as possible.
> It's not like we can see what you're doing from here, you know.
>
> That said, it should be noted that unless you specify otherwise, the
> system is installed without a password on the root account. I installed
> a couple of 2.2 GAMMA releases like this and never noticed any problem.

You forgot *RANT ON* and *RANT OFF*   ;-)

I'm not sure what more you want to know.  Other than the ambiguity about
trying to disable an account versus being able to login without a
password (the latter is what I was trying to achieve), what more is
there you need to know?

I have a user.  I have a password.  I can login with that password.  I
don't want to have to type in a password.  I run vipw and empty the
passwd field.  I try to login.  It still prompts me for a password.  The
old password doesn't work.  Simply hitting return doesn't work.  No
common magic words work.

I apologize for not stating on the list that I have been able to
"prevent login from prompting me for a password for my account" since
2.0, including 2.1.* and all the alphas, betas, gammas and releases of
2.2 with the exception of 2.2.1.

Have you actually tried this under 2.2.1 (that at least was explicitly
mentioned) or is this just a canned response?