Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:21:32 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the mythical syscons redesign document ( was Re: Porting wscons )

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 05:47:13AM +0100, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> OK, I found it:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=302402+322879+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-current/19980802.freebsd-current

It makes perfect sense to me why this hasn't been implemented. Not
because it's wrong, but because it's impractical. For example, the
ext/int mapper is not wrong per se, but it not specific to consoles.
It should not be made part of the definition. The problem of encoding
should be referenced or mentioned as a sidenoot or footnote, but lack
of experience, practical value or even feasibility to address it in
its entirety should have resulted in it being abstracted away.
I'm not aware of any implementation that has it, which is exactly
the point I'm getting at.

An interesting read for historical reasons, but not really for the
problem at hand. I still don't know how X is or would be affected if
we would change our console implementation...