Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:48:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      marcs@znep.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/6180: youbin port has root-exploitable security hole

>Number:         6180
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       youbin port has root-exploitable security hole
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE i386
>Environment:

youbin-2.13 port as of today.

The "youbin" program is installed setuid root but it has a hole that
is almost certainly exploitable.

"youbin -s xxxxx<many x's>" will normally cause a segmentation fault
due to no bounds checking.

The code does:
[...]
    char    server_name[MAXHOSTNAMELEN + 1];    /* Server name. */
[...]
            strcpy(server_name, optarg);

without any checking.  There are almost certainly more holes, I
stopped looking after the first.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

The port should be marked as broken or someone needs to go through it
and fix all the holes.  Just fixing this one is not enough.

I have sent the authors a note about this.