Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 16:01:44 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, nate@mt.sri.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, scott@statsci.com
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

>Hmmm.  So to answer my earlier question, if I put this functionality
>back into make (and again, I have absolutely NO problem with this)
>it's acceptable for us to say that anyone munging PWD deserves to
>lose?

No, at least if you consider the shell setting PWD to be munging it.
`cd /usr/src/bin/cat; make obj' would lose.  This can be fixed by using
/bin/pwd instead of ${.CURDIR} and a subsitution on ${.CURDIR} instead
of ${.TARGETDIR} in bsd.obj.mk.  You still have to worry about following
"../" paths in makefiles.  I guess there is no problem provided the
source and object trees don't contain any internal symlinks.  "../"
paths shouldn't be used to go above the trees!

Bruce