Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 02:11:56 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        nate@sneezy.sri.com, swallace@newport.ece.uci.edu, pst@shockwave.com, CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/ld shlib.c

>> Because it's non-standard.
>
>/usr/local/lib has been a gcc standard for years... I may understand the
>removal of /usr/X11R6 but not /usr/local/lib !

   The standard in this case has nothing to do with gcc. While the "system"
compiler happens to be gcc, it should function as a traditional system "cc"
compiler. This means that it shouldn't be off messing with "local" directories.
   I feel pretty strongly about this - I've been hosed by its behavior myself
when it was off snooping at some junk I had in /usr/local. Should I desire to
install another 'gcc' in /usr/local/*, then that one can poke around in there,
but the system supplied compiler should not.

-DG