Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 18:52:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Staudinger <marcus@staudinger.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd on demand question:

	I've just recently configured pppd to dial on demand and am
encountering a problem.  There is a process (I don't know which one) which
is sending TCP traffic to my configured nameservers every 15 minutes.  I
can't add this type of traffic to my active-filter because a DNS request
is often the first traffic sent out by any process that I _want_ to cause
a dialin.  If anyone could tell me what service is sending this traffic,
that would be helpful.  I can provide output of /etc/ppp/options and a
tcpdump of the traffic that is causing the unwanted dialins if necessary.

I suppose I could set up a static route for the process for the host it's
trying to reach (setiathome, if you're curious) and then just add tcp port
53 to my active-filter - but A) that's a terrible kludge, and B) since I
upgraded my system from 3.0-R to 3.1-R the active-filter option seems to
not be working.  Ie, when I add "active-filter tcp 53" to my
/etc/ppp/options file, NO traffic will cause a dialin.

Thanks for any help.

-Marcus