Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:08:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Agent Drek <drek@MonsterByMistake.Com>
To:        Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patient Monitoring (NO FreeBSD really)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Joss Roots wrote:

|Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:30:47 -0800 (PST)
|From: Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
|To: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
|Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
|Subject: Re: Patient Monitoring (NO FreeBSD really)
|
|hi all following this thread.
|I will be greatful if anyone sends me a URL
|to start this serial port programming stuff.

Just been kinda watching this thread. So my apologies if this misses the
mark :) I have never done serial port programming but I would suspect that
I/O to your device would end up being the simplest part of your app.

Why not start prototyping your app with python. I've being using python on
FreeBSD and I love it! There's a nice wrapper for Tk called Tkinter that you
can you to put a front end on it and a whole bunch of database interfaces
(I think you said that you wanted to archive your info...)

see:

http://www.python.org

and a quick search on deja showed a few people who've done your type of thing.
(The one shows someone getting data from a multimeter)

http://x32.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=515106896&CONTEXT=942183969.1138884624&hitnum=6

http://x44.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=522492908&CONTEXT=942184189.95027202&hitnum=17

good luck,

	=derek

Monster By Mistake Inc > 'digital plumber'
mailto:drek@monsterbymistake.com
http://www.interlog.com/~drek