Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 18:40:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@simplex.nl>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

  NW> Hmm, it works fine under -stable with 2.6.3.
  >>
  NW> #cheap shot on#
  NW> This is one of the reasons why we stick w/older versions of GCC. :)
  NW> #cheap shot off#
  >>
  >> But the newer versions are quite a bit faster.

  NW> Huh?  I don't think so, as a matter of fact in same cases they are
  NW> slower, due to more memory use required for those with smaller memory
  NW> systems.

I didn't mean running the compiler is faster, but the result is
faster. I think I saw some comparisons between 2.6.3 and 2.7.2 a while
back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

  NW> And, you certainly can't mean that the optimized code is faster,
  NW> because in some cases although it's faster it's wrong (ie;
  NW> buggy).

2.7.0 and 2.7.1 had bugs (lots, especially in the c++ part). 2.7.2 had
some bugs when using -O2 or higher. There are intermediate releases,
like 2.7.2.9 (of which also a pentium optimized version is available
for FreeBSD) that has a lot of the known bugs fixed. All bugs  I knew
were fixed.

But maybe it is better to wait for 2.8.0 which is told to appear quite
soon.

2.7.2 has better support for templates and exceptions in c++. I can of
course put both 2.6.3 and 2.7.2 on my system. I have done that now;
but it is a pity of the wasted disk space of course.

Regards,

Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,
plm@simplex.nl       |  the Netherlands    |      non licet Jovi."