Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:29:48 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The new bootloader - how do you set it up?

> First, the question regarding the move from lkms to kernel modules.  I
> see I now have a /modules directory, but it's empty.  I know my /lkm
> directory is (was, I mean ... ) being updated by the installworld, so
> that I always had up to date lkms.  I always kept lkms and kernel in
> sync, because I understood that.
>
> With the new modules, well, they're *.ko's, right?  Where are they?
> /sys/modules/* ?  That looks right, but do I then have to specifically
> go copy them all into /modules, so that they're available to the elf
> kernel?  And will the elf kernel automatically install those it needs,
> like the cd9660 fs?

This is because /sys/modules isn't (yet) in the buildworld path.  Go to
/sys/modules and try 'make all install'.

> 2nd: I tried your suggested procedure, typing /boot/loader, at the boot
> prompt.  Tried it first with an aout kernel, then with an elf kernel.
> Same thing happens either time, it hangs immediately after printing
>
> symbols=[0x0,040,0x0
>

> That's precisely where it stops (hangs).  Am I doing something wrong?

The /boot/loader file you have is almost certainly corrupt.  It doesn't
matter what sort of kernel you have at this point; it's an a.out format
ELF executable (don't ask 8).

dingo:~>size -aout /boot/loader
text    data    bss     dec     hex
4096    73728   0       77824   13000

Yours should look something like that.

> Last item, which man page (if any) is up-to-date regarding the allowable
> syntax in boot.config?

/boot.config is still as per boot.8

> Thanks a million bucks for giving me a procedure I could test with,
> because if I'd used that "echo '/boot/loader' >/boot.config" thing, and
> it'd hung then, I'd be kinda out of touch, I think.

No; that just sets the default and you can override it at boot time.
You can also always still boot the loader off a floppy.