Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:22:14 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speed of the cards? was Re: SCSI card to choose

>> >  * PCI bus speed = 1/2 motherboard bus speed.  Motherboard bus speed is the
>> >  * same as 'CPU speed' without the clock multiplier.  The newest

>> > Don't the VIA Apollo chipsets allow you to keep the PCI bus at 33MHz
>> > even when the system bus is running at 75MHz or 83MHz?
>> > Satoshi

>I think there was a SIS chipset motherboard by M-tech that allows 75MHz
>bus clock and 33MHz PCI bus.
>
>Otherwise, go with an ALI IV chipset motherboard as they do 33MHz PCI at
>83MHz, 30Mhz at 75MHz, and 33MHz at 66MHz.  I have one but I am not the
>overclocking cpu type. :)

I prefer to stick with 37.5MHz PCI bus (75MHz mem. bus) since all my
PCI cards are comfortable with it. :-)  Of course, yes, you need to be
in the experimenting mind-set before setting out on such a task...

FWIW, this is with a FIC PA-2007 (VIA VP2 chipset), which works quite
excellently with NetBSD.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.