Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 14:35:22 +0530
From:      A Joseph Koshy <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Checking the integrity of system files

Hi,

-current being what it supposed to be, I find that as time passes my
system as getting filled up with the carcasses of old and abandoned
programs.  At the minimum this can be a space wasting nuisance, and
may also leave way for security breaching

Is there any way, barring parsing the output of `make install' to
or `make release' to determine the list of `current' files on a system?

I'm looking at a registry of files maintaining sizes, permissions, checksums
of files, against which I can check a system.

If such a registry is to be added, what is a good place to add it?

(a) add the functionality to `install' (but this won't handle ports stuff)
(b) a separate program callable at install or release time or port addition
    time.

Koshy