Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:40:12 -0500
From:      Stephen Hocking <shocking@houston.rr.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange problems with AGP driver & sound.

> > With very recent current sources, the agp driver doesn't probe when loaded as
> > a module, but works OK when compiled into the kernel.
>
> Oh. I thought that was only a problem in 4.x. Can I see a verbose bootlog
> for a kernel where this is a problem.

OK -  I'm away from the machine at the moment (it's back at home) - I'll boot
the old kernel verbosely and send the results back. Mind you, when I start to
fire up the X server and have it load up DRI & glx modules, it crashes the
machine. The mga module (when I preload it) complains that it needs the agp
module in the bootup messages.

> > However, when compiled into the kernel, it seems to mess up the sound driver
> > (pcm, crystal cs23x) such that no sound or garbled sound at a low volume comes
> > out. Has anyone else seen this? I'm using the mga driver from the XFree86 cvs
> > tree to do 3D work, which is why I'm using the AGP driver.
>
> No idea about this one.

Yeah - I think there's some warts lurking in the sound code somewhere. It's odd, becuase the interrupts from the sound device are still coming in at the expected rate - just not any sound, like it's bufferring from some random chunk of clear memory.

	Stephen
	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California