Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:56:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Small Disk Xterminal

I have about 5 Hewlett Packard 486 DX66 Computers with 80 meg Hard drives.
I want to set them up as xterminals to run programs off of a larger
FreeBSD Server.  I tried looking in the archives and found some discussion
on this topic.  But I was unable to discover how this was resolved.

I want only bare minimum files on the X terminal, and I want to configure
the rc files to start up only the X server and go right into an
authentication from the XDM Server on the larger FreeBSD Machine.

I assume I will use NFS to set up the Xwindows applications that I want to
run.

I want the users at the X terminals to be logging in to the FreeBSD
machine becuase I don't want to have several accounts for my users.  Will
this require NIS? Or can the XDM some how handle this?

Is there any problems with what I have proposed, has any one done this?

Let me know what problems I am likely to encounter and what basic steps
that I will need to do to get started.

P.S. Any one ever get Xwindows working with an HP Ultra Video Card?

Thanks.

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://vinyl.quickweb.com/~chrisc/book.html
Disclaimer: Even Though it has My Name on it, Doesn't mean I said it.