Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 04:27:04 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Majordomo problems

When it rains it pours. Besides my little problem with procmail not
handling mail other then in archivory capacity I also can't get
majordomo to do its thing.

I've installed majordomo up to and including the config-test that
runs without problems. Majordomo is alive and well in that it will
respond to queries about lists, allow subscription to the test-l
list and even will archive submissions.

It will not, however, distribute the submissions to the subscribed
members. Since this is sort of the point of the excercise I'm afraid
there's something wrong. The question is what?

One thing I do notice in the maillog is:

May 31 04:04:26 n669 sendmail[66642]: EAA66641: SYSERR(root): hash map
"Alias1":
 missing map file /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo.db: No such file or
dir
ectory

a newaliases begets this:

nl:/etc# newaliases
/etc/aliases: 41 aliases, longest 56 bytes, 784 bytes total
hash map "Alias1": unsafe map file /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo.db:
Pe
rmission denied
WARNING: cannot open alias database /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo
Cannot create database for alias file /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo

But, believe you me, the /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo *is*
present.

So I got two questions I would like to see answered:

1. how to get hash map generated properly. This is a clean install and
   I have not mucked with permissions

2. how to get it to do its thing

Any help will be appreciated.

Roelof

PS FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE and it's running on the system that sends this
   mail. Mail does get in and out just fine. One at a time.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.