Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:42:05 -0400
From:      Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NIS fails after upgrade to 4.6

If you're trying to authenticate on the Solaris box, your password in NIS
had better be stored in crypt format -- not MD5, unless you've taken
additional steps on the Solaris box beyond with what I am familiar.  If you
want to be able to set your password on the FreeBSD box and have login work
on the solaris box using NIS, ensure your crypt links point to the weaker
ones... There is information in the handbook on this subject:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nis.html#AEN20965

Your original post wasn't completely detailed in what kind of authentication
problems you were having when trying to do what so I've made some assuptions
above.  If this is not relevant, consider explaining what "problem with the
authentication aspect" you are having.

HTH.

-Yanek.