Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:09:42 +0100
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird bug with ZFS and SLOG

On 12/06/2011 03:22 PM, Adam Stylinski wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>wrote:

> Actually my pool was created on 7.2 and has been updated every release, is
> that a factor?
I think the answer is yes.

Today I caused the same thing you guys did, with a log that wouldn't go
away.

I always did the same thing on the main system, with no issues
(removing/replacing the log).

But today for the first time, I wanted to remove the log from the backup
system, and it caused/revealed that problem.

I think the relevant difference between the two systems is that I
destroyed and recreated the main system's zpool after I upgraded to
8-STABLE and zpool v28 (still zfs version 4). The backup system was
upgraded from v15 to v28.

old: zpool v15 zfs v4
new: zpool v28 zfs v4

And now to fix it, I am moving and destroying the pool. (to zpool v28
zfs v5) It is easy to just offline the device and remove it, but I want
to be sure there is nothing else broken in there.

For example, if I attach a mirror to the log now, it triggers a resilver
that does not show which disk is resilvering in zpool status, and says
it will take 25 hours, even though the 8GB SSD log obviously doesn't
need that long (and replacing a pool disk doesn't either). And zdb shows
more than just the log disk, but all slices with the same physical disk
with "resilvering: 1". That is not extremely serious, but undesirable.

> I did manage to do this in a VM, so in any case we'll
> probably have to do something that involves zdb.

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2
21502 Geesthacht