Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 23:19:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Forgiving select() call.

As Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:

> > (Religious topic, thus moved to chat.)
>
> Religious??? Off hand I can't think of why this would be religious.

To much chat already going to -hackers...  Please, keep this on -chat,
and use a group reply (as most people use anyway).

> > Only very few systems actually implement it as a library function (and
> > that's perhaps one of the reasons [along with STREAMS] for the
> > sluggishness of their IP functionality).  All the serious ones
> > implement it as a system call, too.

Your pro's:

>    Solaris 2.x (SVR4)
>    Unixware 1.x, 2.x (SVR4.2)
>    Sony NEWS/OS 6.x (SVR4)
>    NCR (AT&T MP/RAS) 4.0.3 (SVR4)
>    Fujitsu UXP 10.20 (SVR4.2)

Hmm.  It's not surprising for true SVR4's (i.e., kernel based on the
SVR4 code).  All the clones (only userland taken from SVR4, but self-
written kernels)...

> (SGI's IRIX5 and IRIX6 ...

and
>    HPUX
>    AIX
>    Digital UNIX (OSF/1)

...and you can add DG/UX as well, don't use the library variant.

If you look at the list, except Slowaris, all the larger workstation
vendors don't seem to follow the SVR4 route.  (For Slowaris -- they
have to take their own medicine.  It's been Sun that did the merge
between old SunOS and SVRx.)

> So, getting back to FreeBSD-land. A FreeBSD implementation of poll would
> not need to be as fundamentally flawed as the SVR4 implementation.

Hmm, but yet another not even API-compatible version of poll()?

--
cheers, J"org