Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 22:37:43 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it a REAL Firewall?

On 30 May 99, at 20:30, Mark L. Holloway wrote:

> What is the difference between FreeBSD's Firewall (or any of the free
> firewalls) vs. Gauntlet, Raptor, Cyberguard, or Checkpoint.  They all run
> on Windows NT (among other OSs) and cost approximately $20,000.

> Is it VPN features?  Is it EASE OF USE?  What CAN'T you do on the
> FreeBSD OS Firewall that the commercial ones can do?  There has to be
> SOMETHING!?  The commercial ones don't even include support or upgrades,
> that's the base price!

> I know the obvious differences between FreeBSD and Windows NT.  I
> also know that so many corporations are supporting NT more than ever
> before.  When I went to Networld+Interop NT was everywhere (some
> Solaris).  It's going nuts!  How about networking tools?  "Sniffer
> Total Network Visibility" from NAI is now $11,000!
>
> I'm very excited about using FreeBSD in my everyday work for network
> troubleshooting.  I just want to know how to answer the other guys
> when they ask "What is it about the FreeBSD firewall that makes it so much
> better than Checkpoint, Cyberguard, Gauntlet, or Raptor?"

Without getting into features and capabilities (and I'll look for
letters about that with great interest), I'll mention in passing that
the firewall can't be any more stable than the OS it's running on.

I'd sleep better running a firewall on ANY version of FreeBSD than
ANY version of NT.  And that doesn't even start to get into the
questions about the NT exploit of the week from l0pht and every
other group on the net....

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

Recently Seen On A Bumper Sticker Near Your Home:
Montana --- At least our cows are sane!