Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:03:28 -0500
From:      Brent J Miller <brent@ebrent.org>
To:        Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM and Linux compatibilty

Thanks very much for the tip; I actually had someone clue me in earlier,
using a symlink, but essentially doing the same thing.  I thought I had
tried that previously but apparently I had not.  The thing that confused
me is that the config editor in vmware doesn't allow you to go to /dev
when browsing, it puts you into /compat/linux/dev.... I had not thought
of editing the file manually like that.  But the symlink is cool in case
I run into this with any other apps.  Thanks again.

Brent

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 12:13 PM, Igor Sysoev wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Brent J Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get VMWare setup on a machine running FBSD 4.7.  I got
>> the
>> port installed and can run VMWare and the config wizard etc... however
>> it does not see my cdrom.  I verified it is mounted, but there is
>> nothing in /compat/linux/dev that points to /dev/acd0c or the
>> mountpoint
>> /cdrom, consequently I don't know where to tell VMWare the CDROM is.
>> I've searched through the list archives but cannot find any answers.
>> Can someone please help?  Also, I asked this question on the
>> "questions"
>> list a couple days ago and have gotten no reply, so if there is some
>> other list I need to send this to, suggestions are more than welcome.
>> Thanks very much.
>

> I use following lines in my config:
>
> ide1:0.present = TRUE
> ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
> ide1:0.fileName = "/dev/acd0c"
>
> /dev/acd0c is real FreeBSD device.
> I have no CDROM devices in /compat/linux/dev
>
> Igor Sysoev
> http://sysoev.ru/en/

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-emulation" in the body of the message

Sincerely,
Brent J Miller  brent@ebrent.org