Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:26:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Whats is this? FBSD 4.1 isn't stable!

Today I got a fresh CVSUPdate. The server is running since 5 days non
stop without
any problem within this time. Then, when I got the last delta files
about 4 hours ago, I tried to compile a "new world" - but compilation stops
due to an error in some OPIE stuff. Well, this is well known, some stuff has
been updated and we catch new stuff in the middle of the update duty on the
server. So, waiting ... I did a second cvsupdate and the I tried again to
make a world. And what then happened is simply "horror"! First, the compiler stops
and reported aome kind of error and SIG 11. Well, SIG 11 is a rar error message
on my machine ... but then, a few seconds later, the system reboots - without any warnings,
without core dump, without nothing! Well - does this mean stable when I simply compile
something and then the machine crashes? I think this is a kind of behaviour that must
not happen! I think not to have faulty hardware, because this server runs now for about
2 and a half year without any hardware fault!

Is anyone out here who made the same experiences? What happened?

Gruss O. Hartmann