Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:35:18 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTP packet routing problem

I've seen similar problems with PPP links over ssh - the link comes up, but on
the PPP host the route to the remote end is via the ether interface.  This is
true for all pkts, not just ntp (which doesn't run over this particular link).
You can fix it by deleting a static route on the ppp host, and it all starts
working again.

I _think_ this is caused by ppp not removing routes it adds before the tunX
interface goes down, and then the kernel re-binds the route via a seemingly
viable non-down interface (i.e. the default route), and won't re-bind it when
the tunX interface comes up.  But it happens rarely so I've not nailed down the
exact circumstances.

Yours sounds like the same problem, but the kill-&-restart ntp works because
killing it releases the last usecount on the bogus route, so it gets dropped
and then recreated properly when you restart ntp.