Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, steve@ns1.cioe.com
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: best news server config

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:37:27 -0500 (EST) Steve Ames said:
>I'm having some serious problems with our newsfeed. The bottom line seems
>to be that our server just isn't keeping up with the feed. The server
>is a Pentium 150 with 96M of memory. I have two 4G SCSI drives bound
>together with ccd (interleave 65536 as recommended in the ccd man page).
>
>I have any the actual news spool mounted with async and noatime. The partition
>with the history and active files is mounted async.
>
>I am using inn 1.5.1 compiled using MMAP.

	More spindles.  Smaller drives.  Multiple controllers.  Stripe it
	across spindles & controllers.  Seperate drives for the active
	and history files.  Seperate drives for swap & system.
	More memory.  More memory.  etc.

	What type of network interface are you using?  Is streaming enabled?
	At both ends?

	Browse the freebsd archives for any one of the several series
	of articles by Joe Greco.  Also, check out the following URL:
		http://www.nntp.sol.net/

	Joe has built several serious news servers & knows what he is
	talking about.  Most of what I know is based on listening to him
	and thinking about it, and thinking about it, and thinking about
	it...

>Everything seems quite sprightly. However when I check the news stats from
>one of my feeds (sprintlink) it shows that they are throwing about 65% of
>the articles away before trying to send them to me. I also have a constant
>backlog of about 9700 articles (cap being 10,000 before they start throwing
>away articles instead of spooling).
>
>Comparing the articles that show up on my server with articles that show up
>on another ISPs news server is quite depressing.
>
>I can't seem to peg the bottle neck here. 'top' shows that the CPU never
>goes below 60% idle. So not CPU. Very little swapping is occuring so
>memory shouldn't be a real big issue. That only leaves drive and network
>speed.

	Only 60% idle?!?!?  That sounds like something is eating cycles
	somewhere.  A news server should be spending most of its time
	in I/O wait.

>The drives are normal scsi attached by an adaptec 2940 controller. Is this
>the problem? Would putting in an external raid array with a wider controller
>fix my problem or am I looking in the wrong place?

	Depends on how the raid box is configured.  Usually, the reliablity
	goes up without any increase in transaction rate or sequential
	I/O.

Take a look at the above references & see if they can help you.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting