Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 01:26:26 -0700
From:      Troy Ross <kukl@mailtag.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   access to files > 2GB from NTFS

Hello,
    I have lots of home video type avi files which I captured from a dv
camera under windows 2k.  I would like to use tools such as mencoder to
reencode these files to something like divx or mpeg2.  Unfortunately,
every time I begin an encoding process for a file larger than 2GB the
encoder prematurely exits.  First I assumed I wasn't using mencoder
correctly, but then I attemped to copy a file from the ntfs partition to
/usr/tmp the file was trunicated at just under 2GB.   I tried the same
experiment on several files and the results were the same.  Is there
some system variable I need to set which allows large files or is this a
limitation of the ntfs code?  I'm currently running 4.7-Stable with a
fairly recent world/kernel < 1 month.
Thanks,
Troy