Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 96 21:35:47
From:      jim.williams@bbs.hal-pc.org
To:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Promise EIDE2300

Ok, another can I question.
  The reason for this question is that I tried 3 times with an earlier
version of FreeBSD (1.5 I think) and it trashed my partition table,
causing loss of some software. (I'm not blaming you or yelling at you,
just want to be cautious this time).
  Following is my dos fdisk and your install fdisk editor partition info

dos FDISK
Partition     Status   Type   Vol   Mbytes   System    Usage
C:1             A     PRIDOS  DISK1  169      FAT16      16%
F:2                   PRIDOS         152     unknown     15%
  3                   EXTDOS         715                 69%

      LOGICAL DOS DRIVE INFO
Drv  Vol     Mbytes    System     Usage
D:            350      FAT16       49%
E:            364      FAT16       51%

FDISK  Partition Editor

DISK name: wd0
Disk Geometry: 527 cyls/64 heads/63 sectors
 OFFSET      SIZE       END     NAME    ptype     Desc    Subtype Flags
      0        63        62      -        6       unused     0
     63    346689    346751    wd0s1      2        Fat       6
 346752    310464    657215    wd0s3      2        Fat       6
 657215   1463616   2120831    wd0s2      4       extended   5
2120832   1467056   2127887      -        6        unused    0

with the last line being highlighted
---------------------------------------

The drive is a Fujitsu M1606TA and the controller is a Promise EIDE2300.
Using on a 486DX40.
--------------------------

I don't know what of this info may be of use to you, so sent everything
that I thought you may need to know.

The QUESTION:
 Since I don't have a tape backup system at present, would you recommend
trying to install FreeBSD on F drive (which I have not formatted and set
aside for unix), or should I backup all I can and re-partition my hard
drive? (takes a lot of floppies to backup that amount of data!) Any
special tips?
Sub question:
 Can I set this up to boot from floppy? It seems the MBR was what was
wiping my partition table (even dos fdisk would not recognize it).

You may imagine that after 3 wipe's of the partition, I am a little
nervous about using an MBR.
Any help to get FreeBSD up and running would be greatly appreciated (I
don't want to have to go to Linux, unless you recommend it!)  :-)

E-mail for me is: jim.williams@bbs.hal-pc.org

(that's where I first encountered FreeBSD, as a net server!)

Jim Williams
Magnolia, Tx.
04/10/96  6:49PM

þ CMPQwk 1.42 208 þWhen in doubt, duck. - Malcolm Forbes