Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 96 12:09:47 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, obrien@nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: H/W recommendation

>> But the bargain
>> basement version of the Pentium Pro, with the 256 KB cache, will drag in
>> the same configuration.  Unfortunately, far too many clone vendors just
>> HAPPEN not to mention in their ads that they're including the cheaper
>> CPU.

> Do you have any proof of this?  I think you're speculating.

I've done benchmarks of heavily-loaded servers with and without the
proper chip. Intel originally wanted *all* Pentium Pros to have half a
meg of cache on board (see their earliest announcements), and for good
reason: it's needed. Otherwise, the ratio of internal to external bus
speeds is a killer.

> And, I don't know how you can call the 256K P6 the "bargain basement"
> when it costs as much as the *highest* speed Pentium.

Because it's under-engineered to pinch pennies. Again, Intel originally
specified the parts to ALL have 512K of cache.

> ... But if you like paying $1200 for your processors, you can think of
> them any way you like. :-)

Usually, a high price for a chip means either great demand or yield
problems. I can't speculate on Intel's rationale, but in this case, both
factors could be important.

> Besides, as already pointed out above, the 256K Pentium Pro cache is
> already *way* faster than any size cache on a Pentium.  Plus, with a 256K
> cache you're already taking about hits in the 90+% range.

On a personal machine,  maybe. But not on a UNIX server with a substantial
working set. Or on a multiprocessing machine.

> 512K would be nice, but its definitely at the far side of diminishing
> returns.

Not when the penalty for using the external bus is so high. When
misses carry a high cost, a higher hit rate is required.

--Brett